Government of Alberta Business Continuity includes prevention, mitigation, resumption and recovery elements. Business resumption is the action taken during a post disruption period including both the resumption of Government of Alberta essential services and the restoration of business processes to a normal working state.
Government of Alberta Essential Services are classified into four categories:
- CRITICAL Services - Services that must be resumed within 24 HOURS or WILL DEFINITELY result in injury, loss of life, infrastructure destruction, loss of confidence in the government and significant loss of public revenue.
- VITAL Services - Services that must be resumed within 72 HOURS or WILL LIKELY result in injury, loss of life, infrastructure destruction, loss of confidence in the government and significant loss of public revenue.
- NECESSARY Services - Services that must be resumed within 2 WEEKS or COULD result in considerable loss, further destruction of infrastructure, or disproportionate recovery costs.
- DESIRED Services - Services that COULD be DELAYED for 2 WEEKS or LONGER, but are required in order to return to normal operating conditions and alleviate further disruption or disturbance to normal operating conditions.
The severity of disruption to government essential services is measured using seven factors:
- The MANAGEABILITY of the disruption;
- The threat to STAFF HEALTH & SAFETY;
- The damage potential of ESSENTIAL SERVICES & RECORDS;
- Severity of damage to government INFRASTRUCTURE;
- The effect on INTERDEPENDENT services and elements;
- The FINANCIAL impact; and
- The VISIBILITY of the event.
For each of these factors the disruption may be classed as either minor, moderate or major.
Government departments are required to report business disruptions to the Alberta Emergency Management Agency's Business Continuity section in order to mobilize Agency support for a possible response and so archival records can track hazards and frequency trends. A copy of the Disruption Incident Reporting Guidelines is available.