What to do After an Event
After a disaster has affected your property, it is hard to know where to start. Here are some steps you should take post-disaster:
- Contact your local government directly or visit their website to see if there are any supports available to you through non-governmental organizations in the area which may include assistance with clean up.
- Take pictures of:
- All damaged items before you throw anything away or make any repairs.
- The inside and outside of your property.
- Contact your insurance company and open a claim. Getting your insurance claim settled: know your options.
- Begin clean-up and repair work. Make sure you record all of the time you spend cleaning up and making repairs. Cleaning your home after a flood.
- Keep copies of all receipts for clean-up, repairs, and replacement of damaged property. Protect yourself from home repair ripoffs.
- Contact your local government and ask about the potential for a Disaster Recovery Program in your area.
- Ask for a letter from your insurance company indicating your insurance coverage and any exclusions – if a Disaster Recovery Program is approved in your community, this will be required as part of your application.